Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Why

A big part of why I have decided that I should blog every day is because it keeps me accountable. I am not sure if anyone even reads these, but there is something about putting my athletic soul out on the Internet that makes me move my a**.

Last year was the first year of my life that I have ever been even a teeny bit athletic. Before that, I had only run a mile once when I was like 16. When I started running last February, I thought that 1/8 of a mile would kill me. I still do not like to run, but I crave it.

Obviously, there is something quite strange in me that makes me go think that getting into a pool to bust my butt only to get out to ride my bike and still bust my butt to really busting my butt to the finish line. Maybe the strangest part is not that I do it, but that I love it. So what in me makes me like being a triathlete?

There are a few reasons:

1) It is an individual sport. Yes, you compete somewhat with the people around you and it is fun to pass (and not so fun to be passed which happens more than I care to admit.) When it boils down to it though, it is me racing me.

2) It is a mental sport. When you are racing in such endurance things, the whole game is mental. People mentally psych themselves out more than they realize. Thus, it becomes a brain challenge. It makes things interesting.

3) Last but not least, I get to be outside. Even though it is not mountain biking or trail running, I still get to see some pretty things. Below is what I found yesterday on my ride. I know there are power lines and there is part of the city in the background, but it is January and from where I stood that view was pretty amazing. Also, you can only find that view on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment