Saturday, January 7, 2012

Spandex: The truth behind the butt squeezing

Okay, so I will be blogging every day from here on out because it is time to start training again.

Since it is winter,

Since it is usually cold,

I have decided to let you in on why athletes, even the fat ones, wear spandex.

It is not because there is some great fashion statement being made, or that we really enjoy the minutes of odd gymnastics that take place why were are trying to put it on.

Spoiler Alert:
It is because the pressure helps to prevent muscle swelling and most importantly the lack of flowing yards of fabric prevent chaffing. I know there are some triathletes, particularly women who can run in their swimsuits. This is because their legs don't touch when they walk or run. However, for the normal, amateur, slightly over-weight person spandex is a brilliant thing.

I used to be an unbeliever. Then I had to wear it for my first race 9 months ago because what else besides tri-shorts can you swim, ride, and then run in? Needless to say, I became a believer. You should too. Give it a week and then you will come over to the dark side. Leggings can be pants in the athletic world.

Good luck on the new years resolutions! I am off to cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment