Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cat calls are for Catwalks

I am sure if you are a girl and you have ever gone outside you have been yelled at, or at the very least some passerby has whistled out his car window. Why do people do this?


I do not understand why it is "normal" or "acceptable" for a man to yell at a woman like she is an animal. However, I know that this problem does not just something that women face.


I have heard from other athletes (and witnessed) that it is common to be yelled at while you are working out.


There are three different types of yellers that exist out there:
1) The angry or harassing type-
This type of yell-er will say things like "Move your ____ing ____ out of my ____ing road." I always wish I could come up with something witty to say to these people. I never can. I usually just say a prayer of appreciation that they chose to yell at me rather than run me over.
2) The I-Am-Enjoying-The-Viewers-
This type makes advances or cat calls towards runners/cyclists/dog-walkers, etc. They whistle and display their appreciation of your attempts to get into shape. These make me so angry. When I am out running or cycling, I do not look good. Cycling shorts are not even flattering on skinny people, so why do you think that it is "cute" to tell me I look good when I do not? Compliment not received!
Last, but not least:
3) The I-really-think-I-am-funny-and-this-will-make-you-or-my-friends-laugh-ers
This is the most common type. These people yell because they think it is funny. Sometimes they actually are. These are the people who don't offend, but often show their IQ. These are the ones you can usually wave at and they move right on. (Hint, hint)


Bottom line: For some reason it is socially acceptable to yell at people doing something good for their health in America. No wonder America struggles so with obesity. 


No workouts on Wednesday! Day off... PHEW! Back in the pool tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment