Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 6 & 7: Confessions of a Reformed Couch Potato

Preface to this post: I am not a physical fitness instructor or personal trainer. I have never really been a hardcore athlete. In fact, I had never run more than a mile in my life until this past January. Everything in this blog is just stuff I have learned from my experiences in this past year and things that I am learning as I train for these athletic events. Think of these posts as Confessions of a Reformed Couch Potato. Having said that, I now will post.

Today's goal was the reason I did not post yesterday. Yesterday, the goal was to ride my bike for 45 minutes. I did not do this. However, there was a purpose behind me not doing it. (NO I DID NOT FALL OFF OF THE WAGON IN THE FIRST WEEK!) I think that with any fitness program, you need to make it your own. Fit it into your schedule. Repeat weeks as needed. Realize that we are all human (except Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps) and we cannot all be super athletic (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it).

In a triathlon, the most challenging transition is the one between cycling and running. When you begin to run after cycling, your legs feel a lot like bricks. They are bricks. Today, I did a brick work-out, which is why I did not work-out yesterday. This was not on the schedule, but seeing as how I am expected to run a 5k after a cycle 10miles in a week (Tri Tulsa)... I thought it necessary!

The Goal: Cycle 10 miles in 40min, Run/Walk a 5k.
Status: Completed.
Notes: My legs still fell like bricks. I am also not ashamed to walk if I need to. The run/walk did take me 40 minutes, not bad for walking part of it. In the race, I actually try not to walk at all, but today I just wanted to make it. Then, I came home and ate pasta. Not related or pertinent, but it tasted nice.
Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment